Action Mapping, Is it Useful?

Action mapping can be useful in creating e-learning goals and develop interactive learning.  Action mapping is meant to target behavior that can be enforced or modified.  It consists of measurable goals and immersive learning.

image source: Cathy Moore



What I like about this concept is a tailored approach.  It is not a blanket course that is deployed to everyone that works at the company.  It's more about taking the time to say, "Hey, this is what you (employee) need to know to do your job (job title)."  Cathy Moore says it's about letting the learner make and explore the same decisions they would face on the job with consequences.  This allows the learner to draw conclusions based on the decisions they made and not have the answer dictated to them.  Because it is job-based and not an information dump that means it is just one part of the learning program.  Other focus areas might include job aids, discussions or process changes.

Most likely the course would be scenario-based and tailored by a Subject Matter Expert.  I have taken a ton of CBT courses but I can safely say none of them used Action Mapping.  I was never allowed to skip ahead and not be bogged down the entire sum of information.  I can't tell you the number of times I was forced to memorize semantics instead of the concept itself just to pass the test.  I think this approach would be far more successful and efficient use of time.  The learner would access the information that was needed to perform and avoid the loopholes that would make him or her unsuccessful in the position. I would love the chance to take an existing old-style outdated course and rework it with action mapping and then compare them side by side.  I know which one I would rather sit down to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collecting Data for Research

E-Learning and Gamification: Can we learn from Pokémon Go?

Social Media is Changing Learning Environments