Gaming to Learn - Reflections

Scoreboard Tally:
Level: 13
Team: Mystic
Metals: 13
Pokedex:  Caught :41  Seen: 64
Current Items: 313/350


  • What helped?  What hindered?
    It helped to gather information from other players to make my understanding better.  It took me a while to understand that the higher the cp#, the more use of items needed.  In other words, a standard PokeBall does not work for catching all Pokemon.
  • Are you leveling up?
    Definitely.  Currently at level 13.
    How does it feel like when you level up?  
    It feels like an achievement and unlocks other items in the game making it easier to play.
    Does leveling up have anything to do with learning in the classroom?
    Yes, leveling up us the equivalent to influence in status.  Classroom parallel is grading.
  • What are you learning?
    Sequence of events, collaboration, resource management, and strategizing.
    Are you frustrated?
    Currently no.  I am trying to determine how to make a single Pokemon powerful enough to compete in the gym.
    What do you do when you get frustrated?
    I try to change my tactic to see if it will produce a different outcome (predict, test, trial and error).
  • What were the good learning experiences?
    I think learning how to combine items to create a better outcome was a key learning experience.  You can't just keep doing one single think over and over and be successful at it.  You have to be creative and improvise.
  • Were you in the flow?  Why or why not didn't you reach the flow?
    I definitely felt lost sense of time and the thought that I could not fail.  Also there were goals in mind.  The day I played the park with the lures, I was so bent on staying and making the most of that experience that I barely noticed how bad my feet hurt.
  • How does this relate to your student's learning experience?
    I don't currently have a class room but I would imagine that an engaged learner is more motivated.
  • How has this affected you as a teacher or student or human?
    I believe not having all the directions and figuring things out can be helpful in some instances.  Gamification and microlearning are is the trend in e-learning and as a student I was able to catch a glimmer into why that works. As a human, I think getting outside and exercising is a win-win for the gamer.  I would like to see research on how gaming could influence self-esteem and depression. I think it could be a way to improve a person's health overall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collecting Data for Research

E-Learning and Gamification: Can we learn from Pokémon Go?

Social Media is Changing Learning Environments